Implementing Small Bites (~5 minutes)
Now that you have almost completed your Small Bites training, it’s time to learn about implementing the program. This topic covers the following learning objectives:
- Scheduling expectations for Small Bites lessons
- Reporting expectations (if receiving a Small Bites Grant)
- Leveraging all that Common Threads has to offer
- Review how to create a Common Bytes account if you have not already
Small Bites Logistics
What Supplies Will I Need?
Scheduling and Reporting Expectations
Grocery Allocation Process
Classroom Cooking (~5 minutes)
Every Small Bites lesson includes a simple snack preparation. Partners are able to select a recipe from www.commonbytes.org and every lesson comes with suggested recipes to make the selection easier. It is important to practice proper safety and sanitation when it comes to cooking in the classroom! This section covers the following learning objectives:
- Describe the functions of food ingredients and food processing techniques and their effects on the nutrient content of foods.
- Describe the potential sources of food contamination and the best practices associated with the safe handling of food.
- Explain how to plan, select, prepare, and manage ingredients and groceries for the Small Bites Program.
- Describe the basic types of culinary practices, including the scientific basis for how flavor, texture, and appearance of foods are created or maintained during food preparation.
Small Bites Video - Classroom Cooking
Common Threads Food Philosophy
Grocery Shopping for Small Bites
- Small Bites Curriculum Access (~ 5 minutes)
How to Access Small Bites Curriculum
Small Bites Video - Common Bytes
Extending the Learning (~9 minutes)
The basic implementation of Small Bites includes the 8 lessons that have been covered in this training. However, Common Threads finds that many of our instructors and partners like to extend the learning by going above and beyond as well as engaging other roles models in the program.
This section covers the following learning objectives:
- Gain awareness about creative ways to go below simply following the prescribed Small Bites lesson plans.
- Learn about ways to engage other role models for students in the Small Bites program.
- Use #cookingforlife to share your experience with Common Threads!
Small Bites Video - Going Above & Beyond with Small Bites
Small Bites Video - Engaging Others with Small Bites
Other Programs Offered by Common Threads
Quiz #3: Implementation
Training Course 3: Implementation
Learn how to successfully implement Small Bites on your campus
Welcome to our Implementation course!
In this course, we'll walk you step by step through the process of how to successfully implement the Small Bites program on your school or site. This course contains materials that will help you understand all the moving pieces that make this program a success!
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for new Small Bites teachers who are about to get started on teaching the Small Bites program with their students. Course access is for 1 year.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Classroom Cooking 101
- Grocery Procurement
- Logistics and Reporting
- How to Extend the Learning